Friday, February 12, 2010

Judgement

I was just thinking about something else I could write about that would interest you guys, rather than my pets and life. Suddenly I thought about the other day, when a friend said something about a teacher looking or sounding gay. I asked her why she judged people, and she automatically said she didn't. I said that's a lie; you just did. But I didn't push it. So I just want to talk about judgement and prejudice for a while.

I hate it that people are always judging and gossiping and following typical stereotypes. My hometown and my school are pretty bad about racism and homophobia. Springtown is an extremely white town, so says Mrs. Lang. I agree with her, since our black and hispanic population is like five, total. But still, that is no excuse for saying crap like gay kids should die. It's absolutely ridiculous and stupid. And there is so much of it in Springtown. It's so easy to wish it would all go away, but it'll never happen.

So, why are people so judgemental? I think it's because we see in others what we fear in ourselves. We see stereotypes when we look at people who are different from us. It's unfair, but true. And it's so sad, because there is so much potential for America if people didn't have this whole thing about Obama being black or democratic. We judge our own president! Think about that, and try to tell me that's not wrong. And if we didn't worry about such trivial things like polls titled "Do you think gay marriage should be legal?" we would all be so much better off. If we didn't worry so much about what other people wanted to do with their lives and trying to control theirs, maybe we could work on controling our own lives. But ohmygod, her hair is so ugly and she's so fat and he's got terrible acne. Who cares?

I can't say that I've never judged someone or said something rude about a stranger, or even thought something demeaning about a complete stranger. Because I have. It is very hard not to think bad about anybody when you live in America. It is hardwired into our brains, because that is what we hear. I garuntee you there is not one kid in this country whose parents have not said something judgemental about a stranger in front of their own kid. And you know what, when we say or think something rude about someone, our subconscious goes "What if people say similar things about me?" And I think that's why everybody does it so often, because we think that if we put others down, that we become tougher somehow, and that their judgement really doesn't matter. But it doesn't work that way, and that's what gets most people.

I can honestly tell you that I try to catch myself when I say things about people, or when I think them. I try not to think bad about strangers, and if I do think things, then I try not to say them out loud. I always feel guilty if I say the things I think. I don't like to join in when my friends gossip about someone. I've witnessed traitors in action, where a group of people will turn on someone that thinks they're all friends when they are home sick. And it makes me angry and sad, because friends really shouldn't talk about each other bad. I understand venting, but when you have a whole group of people talking about someone else, it makes me want to walk away or scream. Too bad I don't have the courage to do that. I wish I did sometimes.

So next time you think something judgemental about anybody, think about what you're saying and why. I promise there won't be a good reason in there.

And thus my lecture on judgement is over. I hope you all enjoyed that.

Bye-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment